Thursday, August 23, 2012

How to can the best tomato spaghetti sauce- part b

Ok, here's the uber fab canning recipe from my Aunt Mae.  Process for 20 minutes in a water bath canner. A couple tips from my third season canning this recipe.  First- buy roma tomatoes. Second-get yourself an immersion blender so that you can skip the boil and peel tomatoes step and simply throw all of the ingredients in a big nesco, cook it for 4-5 hours, and then blend the whole darn thing into a beautiful ragu that can be used in many recipes.  I haven't told my Aunt Mae about skipping the peeling part.  I'm planning on doing a blind taste test at the next family gathering up in New Holstein to see if anyone can tell the difference.  Either way, I'm not going back to boiling and peeling the tomatoes because it's a pain.  Try it and let me know what you think.  For those of you non-canners- just make a batch and freeze it. 

No comments: